Saturday, April 9, 2011

emotion.

“you’re sad? here's a cookie.”

“not feeling well? have some juice.”

“I’m so proud of you! Let’s celebrate with ice cream!”

As a child, I was practically conditioned to depend on food; not for nourishment, but for extra emotional support. This doesn’t sound too bad, I mean, who doesn’t want another slice of You-Got-An-A+ cake??

Fast-forward to right now. I’m stressed – have a cookie! I’m sad – have some ice cream! I’m bored – have nachos! I recently lost a bunch of weight. I kept it off for a while, and then exams hit.

I’m stressed – have a cookie!
            I’m stressed – have some ice cream!
                        I’m stressed – another cookie?
                                    I’m stressed – ice cream!
                                                I’m really stressed – ice cream AND cookies!!!!!

Thanks to the food-rewards that were given to me as a child, I am now an emotional eater.
NOTE: I AM NOT BLAMING MY PARENTS FOR THIS IN ANY WAY. Most parents do this with their children (or at least I think so) and I even find myself using food rewards on my nieces and nephew... and even my friends...

That 20lbs I lost? It found me again. Today I wear my fat jeans, and quite frankly I’M OKAY WITH IT.

why?

Because this too shall pass, and once exam stress is done I will be able to get back on track, get into a better mood, stop eating junk, and rock my skinny jeans.

4 comments:

Patrick Edgar said...

mmmm i still eat my emotions as well, if they weren't so yummy i might not do it...

dys·func·tion said...

Me too. Boredom makes me hungry, but mainly depression. Or stress.

Still, mainly depression. Bring on the ice cream!

Rachael said...

I hear you, I also am an emotional eater (mostly when under stress or upset). Too bad food tastes so good, especially things like chocolate, ice cream, and cookies. Hang in there.

jedi starrunner said...

Thanks for the comments my friends!

..if only they were made of cookies..