Saturday, April 9, 2011

planning.

Sometimes I plan for the future. Every day of my life right now is directed toward my future goals, and my future depends on my actions. I am a student, struggling through the end-of-semester shuffle of papers, projects and exams. The stress is overwhelming, and all I can do to ease off on the anxiety is count down. One more seminar, two more lectures. Hand in the proposal, then five exams. I can do this. I will do this. I want this, remember?

...

Time is ticking and the pressure is mounting, and then I realize something:
The rest of my life depends on right now.

Maybe not entirely, but everything I do these days will later be part of my past. They say that your past makes you who you are... So why can’t I get motivated? I keep procrastinating on everything. I’m so worried about the future that I can’t stop and handle the right now. I’m neglecting the now.

I’ve been a student for a long time. I’m currently in my fifth year of post-secondary. Last year I even took summer school. I’m worried that I’m burning out. I’m worried that I won’t be able to maintain this much longer. I still have two years left of the program I’m in, and then I’m planning on doing a Masters – another few years. What if I burn out completely? What if I can’t do it anymore?

What if all of this is for nothing? Sometimes plans change. What if I don’t want this anymore? I started off in one program in college and dropped out. I graduated from a completely different college program two years later. After realizing that the job market in that field in the region I wanted to stay in SUCKED, I moved on to university. If you weren’t keeping track, that’s three different programs. Plans change. So why am I stressing so much about right now?

2 comments:

Patrick Edgar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patrick Edgar said...

donno why it put that other comment here instead off the other post but what ever, and i know the feeling well, sometimes its hard to be motivated to work to something that is 10 years away for me