Thursday, May 19, 2011

quiet.

My house is quiet. It used to be busy and loud, but now it is quiet. There are the same number of people living here: 2 parents, 1 sister, 2 bambinos and my lovely self. There is significantly less noise.

Sometimes Sister takes the kids on day trips. We’re reno-ing, so it is a lot easier for them to play if they have access to more than just one room... and a bathroom that isn’t doubling as a kitchen. It gets quiet when she’s gone, even if Mum and Dad are still around. We used to talk at meal times, all the time. Used to.

I don’t know what’s happening. They don’t seem to like to talk anymore. Dad comes home from work, and Mum makes him lunch. We all sit around the table (at this point, around the coffee table in the tv room) and there are the few ‘how are things at the office?’... ‘oh, that’s nice,’
 comments, and then the silence comes. We eat in silence. We sit in silence. My mind is screaming on the inside “TALK TO ME.” I worry that my twenty-something-drama annoys them, so once I’ve blithered for a few minutes I become silent as well.

What happened? Where did the conversation go? We used to talk at meal times. All the time. Used to.

The rain is tapping on my window, at least I don’t feel so alone.

2 comments:

rapunzel_jo said...

Awe, things have a weird way of evolving into quiet. It's very awkward and uncomfortable, probablynot just for you. Things have been like this at our home for a while as well. I don't like it either.

dys·func·tion said...

Quiet bothers the HELL out of me. There is very rarely 'comfortable silence' when there is quiet. I'm always worried that it's something that I've done.

I have noise to share with you <3