Saturday, February 19, 2011

little things.

Sometimes the littlest things make the biggest difference.

I have three older siblings. I have different relationships with all of them, and all of these relationships are quite dynamic. Times change. People change.

When I was a child, I shared a bedroom with one of my sisters. We were best friends. While we attended public school, she made other friends and I felt replaced. When we were in high school, sometimes she was too cool for me. Sometimes she wasn't. We went to McDonald's most days after school to get Cheese Burger Arteries.

Cheese Burger Arteries: We would order 2 two-cheeseburger meals. Sister would take off the bottom buns and give them to me. She would then stack the cheeseburgers between the top buns. I ate the buns, and she ate the burgers, and we both ate the fries. We called them 'cheeseburgerarteries' because we could practically feel our arteries clogging as we ate.

Sister and I even went to the same College, living in the same apartment for one semester. Then life happened. Times change, people change. We drifted apart. We were 'sisters' but not best friends. And then we were barely sisters. There was a lot of miscommunication, and some horrible things were said. After a long time of awkwardness and a big blow out fight, we finally reconciled.


Sometimes the littlest things make the biggest difference.

My Sister is very special to me. We both try very hard to make our relationship work. She does a lot of really special things for me, and I appreciate them. Last time I came home for a visit, she surprised me with a new kind of Gluten Free cereal. This time I came home to a pocket sized book "a little book of hugs for sisters."

I do special things for her too. I try to text her or call her at least once each day. Sometimes that gets hard when I am busy with school and she is busy with her children. Today I nominated her for a makeover contest when she mentioned how fun it would be to win. Life is too short to hold grudges and be an idiot. Do something special for a loved one today.

posts about Brother and my other Sister to come....

No comments: