Monday, March 28, 2011

mirror.

I met a stranger in a cafe.

It was a total fluke, a chance meeting. I rarely hang out at cafes. I was meeting a friend, and it seemed like the only appropriate public venue.

I brought some homework and I set out to make some serious headway before my friend got off work. I noticed someone rustling by the chair across the coffee table. It was him. He asked if I minded him sitting there, and I said it was okay. He read his book, and I typed away. I could hear him laughing and I couldn’t help but wonder why. Eventually I got up the courage:

“that book must be hilarious, you keep laughing at it.”

We talked for nearly an hour. It turns out that the book wasn’t funny, it was actually quite serious. It had an eerie way of mirroring his life. He came across passages that resembled thoughts he had days ago.

We talked and talked, and he said that it was amazing that he kept meeting people like me. Like me. I think back on it now, and realize that maybe he meant people like him.

I met a stranger in a cafe, and that stranger was me. He wasn’t me right now, he was me from another life. He had seen different things and experienced different things, but he was me. He was a mirror of me. I can’t stop thinking about that day. I can’t stop thinking about him. I can’t stop thinking about me.

I had a heart to heart with a friend about all of these things that she is going through right now. I saw myself in her. I saw my struggle in her. I saw my perseverance in her. I saw my passion in her. Almost as if she was me. Not me right now, but me from another life.

I read a blog that really spoke to me. It spoke to me because I felt it was speaking about me. I read the words and it was like they were coming from my thoughts onto the screen.

All of these mirrors keep finding me places. I see myself in my friends. I see myself in strangers. I see myself everywhere and I can’t help but notice a number of things.
1.      I am blessed to be me. NO ONE will ever know what it is like to be me, as I will never know what it is like to be them, and I am thankful that I get to experience MY LIFE fully as myself.
2.      You are blessed to be you. NO ONE will ever know what it is like to be you, as you will never know what it is like to be them. Be thankful that you get to experience YOUR LIFE fully as your wonderful self.
3.      I am confused. I have been struggling with a number of issues recently, and I am finding it hard to find myself within my own life. My sense of self feels damaged in some ways, and only time will tell what I build myself back up to be.

I met a stranger in a cafe. He wasn’t ‘strange’ at all. He was me in a different life. I can’t help but wonder if I will ever see him again.

2 comments:

dys·func·tion said...

This is amazing!!!

You really captured my attention through this one. I can completely relate to these feelings as well.

Amazing.

jedi starrunner said...

:) you are too kind <3