Thursday, March 3, 2011

poop.

everyone poops.
why doesn’t anyone talk about it?

Sometimes I’m afraid of my own bodily functions. I worry if my tummy grumbles in class... Will anyone hear it? What will people think?

My digestive system is a cause of concern for me. I have been diagnosed with a number of issues in my system. Most recently, I was advised to stop eating gluten (the protein found in wheat). Since then, my issues have settled down considerably... but sometimes I still have issues. Sometimes I have pain. This pain puts me in a bad mood, and I get snappy at people. People get upset with me, and I want to explain, but I can’t.

Everyone poops, but why can’t we talk about it?

I worked as a teaching assistant at a Montessori school in a toddler classroom. Every day I had to give updates to parents when they picked their children up:

So-and-so had x many bowel movements today.
S/he really struggled this afternoon with a firm bowel movement.
So-and-so didn’t have a bowel movement today, but was really gassy all morning.
So-and-so had some diarrhoea this morning, and is wearing spare clothing because the diaper leaked.

At that age, parents are so interested about what goes in and out of their children. I pay attention to my diet for the most part, and I pay attention to my ‘bathroom time,’ but why is it so taboo?

Everyone poops. Why can’t we talk about it?

Sometimes I accidentally eat gluten (cross contamination, or in a dressing I thought was gluten-free). It hurts. It makes my stomach turn and I get horrible pains. I want to tell people I’m having a poopy day, but this type of behaviour is not socially acceptable.

Sometimes I sneak it in anyways. Maybe in a one-on-one conversation with a close friend I’ll mention some sort of ‘tummy issue.’ I feel relieved. Sometimes other people have these issues too and we can talk about it and it feels better knowing that I’m not the only one having a poopy experience, knowing that if I say I’m not feeling well they’ll understand and sympathize.

Everyone poops. Why can’t we talk about it?

2 comments:

dys·func·tion said...

I hate having wicked diarrhea that *hurts* your butthole. Hurts to the point where I use the baby wipes to soothe my sore tuckus. I complain my face off to Boyfriend, but if other people are over (well, depending on who) I can't just limp out of the bathroom, moaning 'oooooooo, my bummmmm'. It sucks.

jedi starrunner said...

Agreed. Seriously, I wish that other people would get over their issues and realize that it feels better if you can talk about things that are bothering you... INCLUDING things like diarrhea, cramps and whatnot.